UK WILPF (Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom) deplores the death of George Floyd at the hands of the police in the USA and all the previous deaths at the hands of the police in the UK as well as the US. We welcome the tremendous response of the Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement across the world.
In particular UK WILPF appreciates the uprising of young women and men under the BLM slogan here in the UK. As a nation we have to recognise our collective guilt in the enslavement of Black People and the wealth from which we have benefited in the past and currently enjoy as the result of years of imperial exploitation of people of colour.
It is right that symbols of this power are being brought down but we need also to address the structure of our society: the different life opportunities available to black people in education and work, the history we are teaching our children. We also need to recognise the role that black people have played and are playing in building our current British society.
- WILPF women pledge as an organisation, and as individuals,
- To do our best to combat hate and discrimination wherever we encounter it in our daily lives
- To do our best to combat prejudice and to stop those who, because of hate or ignorance, would hurt anyone or violate their dignity.
- To try always to be aware of our own prejudices and seek to gain understanding of those who we perceive as being different from ourselves.
- To speak out against all forms of prejudice and discrimination.
- To reach out to support those who are targets of hate.
Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom 52-54 Featherstone Street, London EC1Y 8RT www.wilpf.org.uk phone: (0)20 7250 1968 email: email@example.com